This is version 1 of the prototype. I will add some section to support the metal components, because they are flexible and slightly bent they are not close to the outside, so it makes it hard to put the screws in when closed. I will add a section that forces the metal to be straight and ready to accept a screw.
This SLA of course is not dyed and no surface finishing work has been done.
The 16MB Memory module for the PC110 is not easy to come by these days. The PCB is fairly simple and the memory chips should be salvagable from other more standard memory modules of the era so I contemplated doing a small production run of them so I could have a couple and I would have some to share, or others could produce their own.
So far I have been unable to find a source for the connector aside from removing them from 4MB modules.
This is the initial design for the prototype bezel to hold the ZJ050NA-08C
There are some challenges with 3D printing due to how thin some areas are. I expect to receive an SLA print of this on this coming monday, and from there I will look at additional revisions and print another one until it is just right.
With some surface finishing I hope we can get it close to looking factory, but certainly it will be functional from a mechanical perspective.
I decided to take some comparison shots of a working display. I also contemplate how to preserve this screen long term. Although my focus is on TFT displays for practical use, I do have interest in preseving the original screen as long as possible just for sentimental reasons.
I continue to work on various aspects of the PC110, but updating information online in of itself is a task!
Bios Patcher I continue to work towards understanding the method xpatch.exe uses for updating the flash memory, with the goal of creating a “vpatch” which will make the required modifications to the CT65535 bios for use with the TFT display. I will not get too adventurous until my ZIF sockets arrived so I can easily repair the flash program in the event an early version of vpatch “bricks” the unit.
I am using a combination of Turbo Debugger and Ida to understand and follow the actions. I was unable to find documentation for the VLSI VL82C420FC5, however I did find one for the VL82C480, and it appears that many of the configuration registers must have been shared between them.
I have put the AT050TN22 V.1 on the shelf for now, it seems to be very sensitive and not electrically compatible with the PC110 without some further electronics, perhaps some kind of impedance matching, this is something I do not know enough about right now to deal with properly.
The ZJ050NA-08C however works almost perfectly without any special conditioning of the signal lines. I had a slight issue with blue, it may have been a solder bridge or an error in my PCB, I will address this in the next revision of the board. There are some mechanical changes now needed as the ribbon cable location is changed, and the analog power and backlight requirements are different.
This was the concept V2 PCB but it will be totally different for the new display. Of course I had mixed up the footprint of the 30pin connector which is why it does not go in the correct direction.
Bezel I spent some time in Fusion 360 drawing the bezel, however I just do not have the time to do this properly so I am going to go back to my original plan and find somebody local to draw it for me.
I got quotes for injection molding tooling, and it would be around $3000. If 3D printing cannot produce a good enough result, this may be the only way to get a professional result. I would need to sell additional pieces over time to recover that cost. Maybe $50 dollars each or something.
Keyboard/Mouse Dongle I managed to find the propritary keyboard/mouse dongle online so I will be able to look closer at the possibility of 3d printing a custom 1mm pitch housing and using other JST or other style pins to fit into it.